Pomona takes Reno TOC by storm and Colorado brings home BOTH boys and girls OW awards
Photo: Reno TOC Outstanding Wrestlers Daniel Cardenas and Blythe Cayko
By Tom Blair, ICW Staff
While a large percent of the Colorado high school teams stayed in state for tournament competition this past weekend, Pomona traveled to Reno for the Annual Tournament of Champions to compete against the country's best - 105 boys teams and 30 girls teams. They were joined by Eaglecrest (Boys and Girls), Ponderosa, Grand View and Alamosa (Boys and Girls).
Daniel Cardenas led the Pomona boys to a top team finish amongst all Colorado teams while placing 3rd overall with 185.5 points. Daniel followed up last week's exceptional Ironman performance and subsequent Colorado HS Boys “Wrestler of the Week” award with another championship (personal tournament best of 7--0 record) and his second outstanding wrestler award of the season. He has also officially joined the 100 win club!
Pomona boys placed 6 out of 14 weights:
- 106 Ramon Hernandez | 8th
- 120 Mark Cardenas | 8th
- 132 Jakob Romero | 4th
- 145 Josiah Parsons | 8th
- 152 Daniel Cardenas | 1st + OW
- 220 Joe Rosales | 6th
Pomona's non placers contributed to the total team points with a combined 22-16 record.
The Pomona girls brought home a team title with 128 points - beating #2 Allen by a whopping 23 points - and placed all 6 wrestlers in this very tough tournament:
- 106 Alyra Gomez | 4th, 2-2 record
- 106 Mariah Dillard | 3rd, 3-1
- 113 Persaeus Gomez | CHAMPION
- 132 Alicen Dillard | CHAMPION
- 145 Desza Munson | CHAMPION
- 160 Anastacia Fucci | 3rd, 3-1
Eaglecrest sent 10 girls and earned 2 placers AND an outstanding wrestler award:
- 132 Kaiya Winbush | 4th
- 182 Blythe Cayko | CHAMPION + OW, 5 pins and only wrestled a total of 3 minutes and 54 seconds. Not once did Blythe allow her opponents out of the first period.
Alamosa sent 4 girls and earned two placers:
- 113 Sarah Delacerda | 2nd, 3–1 record.
- 235 Isabella Duran | 3rd, 3–1
Full tournament results can be found on Flo - https://www.flowrestling.org/.../7278633-2021-reno-toc/30928